- To start taking online courses, create a user account from the "Online Courses" page.
- Click the title for the tutorial under Course Tutorials tab that you would like to view, which launches and starts the actual tutorial. To view and listen to the tutorials, you will require HTML 5 video enabled browser and a speaker or headset.
- The tutorial will advance through the slides automatically unless special instructions are provided or you are using a smart phone. This tutorial program remembers where you left off. Upon your next visit to the tutorial it will return you to the slide that you were last viewing.
- At the end of the tutorial, click on the button that says "Update Your Record." If the "Post test" is available to the tutorial or course, it will appear. To take the test, choose an answer corresponding to each question and click the "Submit" button. Upon submission of answers, feedback and, if applicable, a link for more information will be given. You need 80% correct answers to pass. Once you pass the test, click on the "Close" button to close it. You may retake the test 3 times by clicking on the "Try Again" button after reviewing feedback. If you fail all three attempts, you need to view the tutorial again to retake the test.
- If the course has multiple tutorials, you can continue to view the next tutorial or click Exist. At the end of course, a feedback survey will appear.
- On the course list, you will notice that progress status will appear right next to the tutorial you just viewed. You may view any available courses, including those that have been viewed previously, at any time and as many times as desired.
- Once meeting the course requirement, a Certificate of Completion will be available from "My Certificate List" page free of charge.
For instructions on receiving a certificate for continuing education credits, please check "How can I receive my certificate for continuing education credits?" under FAQs.
Course information and if applicable, resources can be reviewed by clicking on Descriptions and Resources tabs.
Courses Frequently Ask Questions
Can I take any online course?
Yes. Online courses are free of charge and open to everyone. However, if you would like to receive continuing education units for your participation you will need to pay a nominal fee.
To take any courses, do I have to install any special application?
To watch the video, your browser must support HTML5. Google Chrome 31 and higher, Firefox 33 and higher, Internet Explorer 11 and higher, and Safari 7.1 and higher all support HTML5 videos. To find out what browser you are using go to the WhatBrowser.org. If you are using an older browser, you may wish to update it. After ensuring that you have a compatible browser, if you continue to be unable to access our videos, you may need to update your computer's video driver as well. Obtain the information on how to upgrade graphics drivers from Mozilla.org.
Do I have to watch the course in one sitting?
You may pause or stop it at any time. Your course session will automatically restart where you left off on your next visit.
What is the difference between a Certificate of Completion and a CE Certificate?
Users who complete all tutorials of a course will receive a Certificate of Completion at no cost. Your Certificate of Completion will note your name, title of the course, and date of completion. However, this does not grant any kind of continuing education units.
CE Certificates confer continuing education credit and will note your name, your license information, title of the course, date of completion, and total contact hours earned. A small fee is required to receive a CE certificate.
How do I know which course offers contiuning education units?
If continuing education units are available, the number and type of units, along with the associated fee, are listed just under the title of the course.
How can I receive my certificate for continuing education credits?
You will be able to request a continuing education certificate by following the simple steps below:
- Log in to your account and click on "My Certificate List"
- If you have not completed an evaluation, click "Evaluation Required" under "My CE Certificates." If you have already submitted an evaluation, you will see a "Request Certificate" link.
- Click on the "Request Certificate" link. You will then be directed to our online payment portal Authorize.net.
- Enter your payment information and click "Submit".
- Soon after submitting your payment, you will receive a confirmation email from Authorize.net and a separate email with a link to your Nursing CE or CHES-CECH certificate.
- You will also be able to view and print your Nursing CE or CHES-CECH certificate from the My Certificate List.
Do I need to submit my CHES-CECH certificate to the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC)?
No. The Institute for Public Health is a Category I designated provider and is responsible for reporting all CHES continuing education activity directly to NCHEC. For more information, please read NCHEC's continuing education FAQs at http://www.nchec.org/faqs